SLIDER

Sunday 14 September 2014

Less is best


So obviously in the spirit of going back to uni and all that jazz I thought let me do a back to uni essentials post, yeah cliché I know but it’s actually useful (even for me). Now this is tailored to work well for me and that means that you won’t necessarily need all the items shown, but it is a good rough guide as to what to have in your wardrobe, not only for uni but everyday living as well. Most of the pieces work well or those days when you can't go home to change or don't have long to change before a night out.


The leather jacket 

It won't be just for the nights out, but those days where you want to make your outfit more casual. It so simple to wear a leather jacket/biker jacket on any random day. I wanted something that didn't have too much going on with the zips and that, but I love the detailing on the shoulders and arms.
I got mine from the tall section to avoid the 'short sleeve syndrome'.

Biker jacket - Dorothy Perkins

The Duster coat 

I'm sure it came as a trend, but my love for duster coats and cardigans is like mmmm. I love to layer, my temperature is always fluctuating so I find it useful to be able to take off and put on different layers. I've seen some pretty steep prices but knew I definitely needed one as a go to item. I showed the full length so you get the idea, but this is an essential day or night piece and the fit is perfect. If you get one trust me you'll be reaching for it daily.
Duster coat - Topshop


Jeans for days

I'm definitely not much of a skirt girl and my dresses if anything or always casual so jeans are a necessity for me and would be for students. At the moment the only jeans I wear are Topshop Joni jeans. To be fair I do need to branch out but they fit so well. obviously you need different colours and shades but these three work well with most outfit combinations. Black jeans are imperative!
Jeans - Topshop (Joni)

Denim jacket & Shirt

It's probably one of the pieces you have in your wardrobe from when you were younger, if I only i knew better i would have held on to some of them. I've stuck with this one because of the shade of blue it is, it works quite well with dresses because of it. I bought this on sale for like £3 or £5 at the time and its stayed in my wardrobe ever since. Thrift stores usually have loads for cheap, so it's worth keeping an eye out. This one sits on the waist an oversized one is desirable but once again its perfect for layering and changing up an outfit.
Denim jacket - Primark

Skirts - Casual & Formal

So evidently I have a thing for leather but that's not the the point. As I said i'm not really a skirt girl but it's still an essential. For interviews, more formal occasions and obviously nights out. I've stuck with black because it works with my wardrobe best and have the two most basic styles; the pencil skirt and the skater skirt. The main thing is the fit, if it fits right then it can be worn for all purposes. Another addition could be a jersey/cotton midi or mini. I'm working on that.

Leather pencil skirt - Dorothy Perkins & Leather skater skirt - Primark

The trouser 

Those days where you don't want to wear jeans or leggings, can't be bothered to wear a skirt and a dress is out of the question. Honestly you don't realise how useful a piece is till you have it. I featured this in my previous post - Cropped & Fitted - and honestly they are the best. High waisted and can easily be worn as a formal or casual piece. They are so comfortable and easy to move around in so it's a win win. Any bottoms that aren't jeans or leggings etc, can be your go to pair. chinos and joggers are other suitable options.


Trousers - Dorothy Perkins

Leggings

For the days when you're practically living in your lecture room, have errands to run, or just can't be bothered. Like Jeans a black pair is a necessity (having more than one always helps too) and hey if you're loving other patterns its all part of the collection. H&M have a range but I love their thicker ones (like a £1 or 2 more than their basic ones) no see-through leggings mishaps and perfect for A/W Easy to dress up or dress down and dry the fastest, for those times when you don't have time.


Black leggings - H&M; Checkered leggings - Topshop


LBD

Ultimately you should never be without a black dress, little, midi or long it's your preference but you just can't go wrong. There's not a lot to say for this one, but on a budget it's the simplest and most affordable item to have. let's face it, outfits will be repeated. accessorise to change the look and mix and match your shoes to give it a different vibe.  
Ribbed dress - Topshop; Peplum mesh cut dress - Can't remember (sorry)

Crop tops & Basic tees

Just like the basic tee it's a good item to have when you want to just throw an outfit together but still look cute. One in, black, grey and white the basic colours goes a long way. Wear with a duster cardigan in the daytime or a leather jacket for a simple evening look. With the choice of different cuts, fit and lengths these two items will go a long way.

Tee dresses (can be worn both as dress & tee) - Primark; Sleeved crop top - Primark; Sleeveless crop top - H&M

Hats 

Of all the items this is probably the only item that isn't for everyone but has been my holy grail through uni. For the bad hair days, the days when you cannot be asked to straighten or curl you hair. It's for the rainy days the cold days and every day that isn't a uni day ha. Honestly there are so many styles to match you outfit or look on any given day. For those mornings when you're late for lectures it helps cut down your routine whilst still letting you look good.

Beanie - Ebay; Cat ear bowler - Dorothy Perkins; Bowler - Thrift store; Floppy hat - H&M
So this was a lengthy one but I hope it's helped someone out there. Once again these are my essentials but with my experience I think it's safe to safe it doesn't hurt to have most if not all of them as staple wardrobe pieces.

Hope you liked it.
.xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think.?

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design